The Magnolia League, by Katie Crouch

Saturday 29 June 2013


Title: The Magnolia League
Author: Katie Crouch
Rating: 5/5 stars
Release Date: May 3, 2011
Publisher: Poppy
Format: Paperback Edition
Goodreads Average Rating: 3.38
Age Group: 12+
Would I Recommend It: YES!


    By the way, as you can see, I added two new sections in my reviewing, "Goodreads Average Rating," and if I would recommend it or not.

    Looking at the reviews and comments said about this novel weren't so pleasing. Many people have mentioned that the author's writing didn't make sense, and how Alex, the heroine was dull and mainstream to other female leads.

   The Magnolia League's female lead is Alexandria "Alex" Lee, daughter of a herbal farmer, who could create a potion/antibiotic for just about of anything, using natural materials. When Alex's mother dies, she has no choice but to be shipped off to Savannah, Georgia, where her grandmother, Dorothy Lee, lives. Leaving her hard working life and her loving boyfriend behind, Alex finds out that she is an unwilling member of the Georgian debutante society, The Magnolia League, made up of the wealthiest, most powerful members of the city. As Alex is introduced to the new world of manners and prejudice to other societies, she must learn the secret of them all, and how to learn to become part of the magical world that beholds the truth.

    I describe The Magnolia League as a powerful novel. It's one of those that won't let you put it down, basically. You feel linked to it, and the plot is so ongoing, you will forget what world you're coming from.

   My expectations were very low, for this one. With a 3.38 rating, I thought that I would dislike it. Being in my bookshelf for a while now, I've never felt that it was the time to pick it up. Thankfully, I did now, or else I'd just miss something wonderful and almost perfection.

   I've read reviews where people have mentioned that the author has gone against teen reading, or something like that? It doesn't matter what the article said, people, read the book, what would be wrong with it?

   Alex is a fantastic female lead. I loved how she was more of a hipster, eco girl, caring about the Earth, and how we treat it. Like mother, like daughter, right? I felt the pain that she went through when her mother passed away, and I knew that somewhere out there, there are people like her waiting to escape from the troubles and problems that we have today. She taught me that we have to take the chance, once in a while, because it may look like the wrong path, but it might bring us somewhere good. Remember when her mother, Louisa said that there are two paths, one right and one wrong?

   I loved the Magnolia sisters, or at least, from what I call them. When Hayes and Madison supposedly "ditched" Alex, I knew from what kind of characters they were, that it could never be true. Hayes was obviously my most favourite, she was easygoing and loyal to Alex, trying to make her feel at home, even though she knew that her heart belonged to Reggie, her boyfriend.

   Reggie. Alex really is the type of person to have a rebellic boyfriend, and Reggie is the perfect one. Maybe it's the marijuana smoking, I don't know, he definitely seemed a rebel to me. Now if you don't want a spoiler, don't read the next sentence. I couldn't believe that he cheated on Alex like that. When she met that Crystal, I had a feeling that she was also with Reggie. Grr!

  Thaddus and Dexter. Hahah. Thaddus was a beautiful male lead. I fell in love with him from the start, but I wish that he was a little more charming with Alex, and would've given her a chance earlier, even though we all knew that he would eventually. Dexter was hilarious! I loved his humor and how he may have been overweight, but that didn't stop him from having insecure feelings about himself, and how he'd still want to have fun in his life. Deviled eggs!

   Dorothy, Alex's grandmother, was one wise woman. She obviously knew right from wrong, and I think that she was the one who changed Alex by the end.

   This book was made up of many beautiful characters, I can't help myself from thinking about them wildly. The concept was unique, and I'll never forget the storyline. I keep on repeating the novel over and over in my head. It's beautiful!

    I cannot wait to read the sequel to this, this book has taught me that we should never listen to the reviews, buy the novel if the summary looks good to you. Take a chance.

No comments :

Post a Comment

I love comments, I always read them, they always make my day and help me improve my posts. Thank you!