Ash, by Malinda Lo

Sunday 7 July 2013

Title: Ash

Author: Malinda Lo

Rating: 3/5 stars

Release Date: September 1, 2009

Publisher: Little Brown Books

Format: Hardcover Edition

Goodreads Average Rating: 3.54

Age Group: 11+




Why Did I Choose It?

It sounded very interesting, and I've seen it everywhere.


Quote:

“The riders, too, were like nothing she had ever seen before: ethereal men and women with pale visages, their cheekbones so sharply sculpted that she could see their skulls through translucent skin. They surrounded her and looked at her with steely blue eyes, each gaze an arrow staking her to that spot, and she could not close her eyes though the sight of them made her eyes burn as if she were looking at the sun.”

My Review:

 I've always enjoyed retellings, so I knew that this one would be a match for me, or at least I thought it'd be.

 Ash was one of those novels that you could just let go, like, throwing a balloon into the air and watching it float away. It wasn't as good as I thought it'd be, and really in a way, didn't make sense.

  I thought that this would be more happier, come on. The stepmother and sisters really never got to see what came out of Ash, and her life, it really just left us there, not really on a cliff-hanger at all. Why couldn't she really have a happy life? I mean, in the end, I guess she thought that she made the right choice, but she never seemed the type, if you read it, you'll know what I mean.

  I thought that Prince Aidan would have more with this novel, the Prince was in the original Grimm Cinderella anyway. The fairies really had no point, if the author took them out and just sticked to fairytales in general, I think that we'd have a more understanding within.

  Ash was a female lead that I disliked. She was boring, and did everything her "mother" said. I would have rather been kicked out, and would go live with that Marie woman or whatever. Why didn't the author think outside the box?

  It's a three star rating because I liked the ending, even though I would've put it in a different way anyways. Also, because I liked the background characters, including Clara, Ash's stepsister.

   Not bad, but not the best.

No comments :

Post a Comment

I love comments, I always read them, they always make my day and help me improve my posts. Thank you!