The 5th Wave, by Rick Yancey

Thursday 18 July 2013

Title: The 5th Wave

Author: Rick Yancey

Rating: 3/5 stars

Release Date: May 7, 2013

Publisher: Putnam Juvenile

Format: Hardcover Edition

Goodreads Average Rating: 4.11

Age Group: 12+






     How many times have I told myself this! I shouldn't always trust the reviewers on what books to read! This was one of the cases that I regretted. The 5th Wave was a book that practically ruined my day, even though it's still an average/okay rating.

    “But if I'm it, the last of my kind, the last page of human history, like hell I'm going to let the story end this way. I may be the last one, but I am the one still standing. I am the one turning to face the faceless hunter in the woods on an abandoned highway. I am the one not running but facing. Because if I am the last one, then I am humanity. And if this is humanity's last war, then I am the battlefield.”


     Cassiopeia also known as Cassie is one of the last people on Earth left after the 4th Wave, at least she thinks she is. Now, on the dawn of the 5th Wave, she has to fight for her survival, and has to remember that no one can be trusted, anyone can be an Other. When Cassie meets Evan Walker, he may be the key for finding her brother that may be alive.

   


    
     So, I have three main problems with this novel, lets separate them to make it easier.

   
   


Problem #1: The Point of Views (POVs)
     
    This was the worst problem I had, and probably a lot of readers would agree with me on this one. 
  I like reading different point of views, I really do. I'm the type of person who needs clarification when things are confusing. Yancey created about 4 or 5 different POVs, I really didn't keep track. Sure, keep it that way dude, but next time, maybe you could write who is who under the chapters or parts? Because every few chapters, the point of views changed, and you really couldn't tell who the heck was telling their story.
     
   
   The only character's view I only looked forward in reading and who I wanted to see what happens to was Cassie's. She was the type of character that I love, she reminds me of a mixture between Katniss in The Hunger Games, and rebel Tris in Veronica Roth's Divergent. Without her, this book would probably have a very low rating. Thanks author, at least for that.

   


Problem #2: The Romance

   If you've read my other reviews, you probably have found out that I'm a sucker for romance. I love it! Now, the romance between Cassie and Evan, or Cassie and Ben, whatever it was, sucked! 

  This was so unexperienced. One minute Cassie and Evan are just talking, the next they're making out. It happened way too fast! The hardly even found out things about each other, Cassie said that she trusts no one, how come she trusted Evan in the beginning?

  


   Usually romances in novels give me chills or butterflies in my stomach, this gave me nothing. Not one squeal.


  Okay. I'm using way too many gifs.

  Problem #3: Reviews


   One of the only reasons why I picked up this book was because of the good reviews written about this. Most people said that it was a 5 star rating novel, the next Hunger Games, yeah right.

  


  Jennifer, no one will ever beat your story, don't worry.


   I've learned that I can't trust my fellow bookworms all of the time.You all are wonderful, but that doesn't mean that I will trust your instincts 24/7. From now on, I will buy books that look interesting to me, not from what I heard is good.

  


   Okay, everyone! Later!


  
 

No comments :

Post a Comment

I love comments, I always read them, they always make my day and help me improve my posts. Thank you!