The Book Thief, by Markus Zusak

Monday 23 September 2013

Title: The Book Thief

Author: Markus Zusak

Rating: 4.5/5 stars

Release Date: March 14, 2006

Publisher: Knopf Books for Young Readers

Format: Paperback Edition

Goodreads Average Rating: 4.36

Age Group: 12+





     From all of the books's reviews that I've read before I actually picked up the book, The Book Thief was the one that I've heard the best things about.

     I expected a story about a Jew hiding from the Nazis, and the only thing that could keep her thoughts away from the war was books. Guess what? I was far from right. The Book Thief was the total opposite, I loved it more than I could imagine.

     Coming from Death's point of view, we have Liesel Meminger, who's going to live in Munich, Germany with two new foster parents. Along the way, she lost her little brother, and her mother was taken away. She has no one except herself. When she finds a book, she doesn't know that it will change her life forever, bringing her a new obsession and thing to do- read. Liesel meets new people, especially the Jew that her new family is hiding in the basement. She realizes that life has more good than the bad.

     In the beginning, I wasn't so sure where this would lead to. It ended up being so unexpected and hilarious at times. But by the end, I was balling my eyes out, and if you read this, then you'll know why.

     If you're looking for a quick read, then this isn't the right book for you. It's a very slow-paced novel that you really have to concentrate on. But since we have the unstoppable Liesel as our lead, the novel really ended up being worth it to read.

     I loved Papa. At first, I had a total love-hate relationship with him, I didn't know what to expect. But by the end, you could tell that he made a big impact on Liesel's life and where she got to. In fact, it made a big impact on myself also.

     I adored this book. It's like no other.

   “The only thing worse than a boy who hates you: a boy that loves you.”

No comments :

Post a Comment

I love comments, I always read them, they always make my day and help me improve my posts. Thank you!