The Giver, by Lois Lowry

Sunday 22 December 2013

Title: The Giver

Author: Lois Lowry

Rating: 4/5 stars

Release Date: January 1, 1993

Publisher: Ember

Format: Paperback Edition

Goodreads Average Rating: 4.11

Age Group: 11+





  Goodreads Summary: Jonas' world is perfect. Everything is under control. There is no war or fear or pain. There are no choices. Every person is assigned a role in the Community. When Jonas turns twelve, he is singled out to receive special training from The Giver. The Giver alone holds the memories of the true pain and pleasure of life. Now, it is time for Jonas to receive the truth. There is no turning back.

   I understand why this is one of the best YA novels of all time, the concept is unique. I've never read an utopian book before, and I don't know why any authors try to complete a novel that fits in that genre. Utopian societies are fun to read about, because we know that our world isn't utopian, but it isn't fully dystopian either, it's somewhere in between.

   I'd have to say that my favourite character would have to be The Giver. He was really wise, and I loved to read about his past experiences with people like Rosemary. I understand why he does what he does.

     I've read the summaries of the other novels in the Giver Quartet, and I like that everything doesn't have to do with The Giver and with Jonas. They are all different, and the characters seem very... different.

     I finally read this, and I liked it!

No comments :

Post a Comment

I love comments, I always read them, they always make my day and help me improve my posts. Thank you!