Flowers in the Attic; Petals on the Wind, by V.C. Andrews

Sunday 5 January 2014




Flowers in the Attic; Petals on the Wind (Dollanganger #1-2), by V.C. Andrews

Genre: Young Adult Fiction, Thriller, Mystery

Other Dollanganger Books

Rating: 4/5 stars










Summary from Back Cover (Goodreads didn't have one): "Chris, Cathy, Cory, and Carrie had the perfect lives- until a tragic accident changed everything. Now they are trapped in their grandparents' attic, waiting for Momma to figure out what to do next. As the days turn into weeks and the weeks turn into months, the unspeakable horrors that plague them are rivalled only by the sinful jealousies that begin to rise... Flowers in the Attic and Petals on the Wind were the first two books ever publishes by V.C. Andrews, who has more than eighty-five million copies of her books in print. Join the legions of readers who have already discovered this twisted and terrifying saga of a family blinded by fear, money, and lust."


Review:
  • When I bought this, I barely scanned through the summary and just bought it right away. I've heard that V.C. Andrews was a legendary classic teen novel writer, so I decided to give her a try.
  • For an author's debut novels, this was written spectacularly. I was very pleased with how it ended up- one word in my mind stayed with me throughout the novel- addicting. This book got me so addicted, I didn't want to put it down and I was stuck reading it late into the night.
  • The first one was the one that caused the rest of the books to unfold. The whole main story happened in the first book, and the second revolved from there.
  • I hated Cathy's mother, she was such a bitchy person. She didn't care about them at all, she just wanted fortune and romance. The children were probably an accident. Marrying your half-uncle? What was that? I guess that's where Cathy got that... scandalous personality from.
  • I hated Cathy so much. In the first book, she was okay, and an okay storyteller/narrator. But in the second, oh my. She basically ruined it, even though I liked the second book better than the first. Cathy was so... fictional. She never had friends because she was too busy running after men... who weren't even her age. She didn't know what she wanted, she went off cheating on different men, and they all still adored her, like how could that happen in reality? How did she have any friends? I'm sorry, but she didn't deserve to live, her younger sister and her younger brother did, and they were left dying. Come on, kissing your older brother? Ugh, I was so frustrated with that chaos it kept me up half of the night. 
  • Although most of the characters were a mess, V.C. Andrews did a stunning job with this one. The idea and concept weren't scary... just thrilling in a way. I'd really like to see where the series would head next.

No comments :

Post a Comment

I love comments, I always read them, they always make my day and help me improve my posts. Thank you!