The Name of the Star, by Maureen Johnson

Tuesday 7 January 2014






Genre: Young Adult Fiction, Murder/Mystery


Rating: 4/5 stars









Goodreads Summary: "Louisiana teenager Rory Deveaux arrives in London to start a new life at boarding school just as a series of brutal murders mimicking the horrific Jack the Ripper killing spree of more than a century ago has broken out across the city. The police are left with few leads and no witnesses. Except one. Rory spotted the man believed to be the prime suspect. But she is the only one who saw him - the only one who can see him. And now Rory has become his next target...unless she can tap her previously unknown abilities to turn the tables."


Review:


  • Maureen Johnson has always pleased me, but this is the first darker novel of hers that I've read, and my expectations were right- it would be as good as her other novels.
  • I never read a book where the main character was going after the killer. This was a first to me, and I was very pleased with the outcome.
  • I felt that the story was fast-paced. Before we knew it, Rory has already made many new friends and was after the killer, Jack the Ripper. It was amazing how she could see ghosts.
  • This reminded me of Ruby Red for some reason, even though it has nothing to do with any time-travel of some sort. 
  • Rory was an upbeat, independent character who always was up to something. I liked her a lot and I wished the best for her, even though you know, she's fictional.
  • I was proud of this book, and am definitely looking forward for the sequel and beyond!

1 comment :

  1. Oooh! I plan on reading this in the future, glad I found a decent review on it! Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, I always read them, they always make my day and help me improve my posts. Thank you!