Secret Letters, by Leah Scheier

Sunday 16 March 2014





Secret Letters, by Leah Scheier

Genre: Young Adult Fiction, Mystery

Rating: 2.5/5 stars











Goodreads Summary: "Inquisitive and observant, Dora dreams of escaping her aristocratic country life to solve mysteries alongside Sherlock Holmes. So when she learns that the legendary detective might be her biological father, Dora jumps on the opportunity to travel to London and enlist his help in solving the mystery of her cousin's ransomed love letters. But Dora arrives in London to devastating news: Sherlock Holmes is dead. Her dreams dashed, Dora is left to rely on her wits-and the assistance of an attractive yet enigmatic young detective-to save her cousin's reputation and help rescue a kidnapped heiress along the way. 

Steeped in Victorian atmosphere and intrigue, this gripping novel, now in paperback, heralds the arrival of a fresh new voice in young adult literature. "



Review:


  • Sherlock Holmes has always interested me. He truly is a remarkable detective, and the BBC hit TV show, Sherlock, is also a stunning modern retelling. I was very excited to begin reading this Sherlock retelling. Not many authors choose to write about this, so it's something new and unique to read. Besides, I've been reading too many science-fiction and chick-lit novels. This was a break out of everything and the usual.
  • Here comes the boom. I really didn't enjoy this one as much as I thought I would. Like I've mentioned in many of my reviews, I don't like books taken place in the Victorian era, except for Cassandra Clare's astonishing Infernal Devices trilogy. This is probably the last Victorian era book that I have, so phew.
  • The way Dora fascinated about Sherlock so much made me wonder so many things. What if he lived? Would everything in the book change and she would figure out the mystery much quicker than she and the other guy (forgot his name) did?
  • The book was boring at most times. Mysteries usually aren't my thing. I didn't finish it, I probably read three-quarters of it. It frustrates me because I had such large expectations, and it ended much differently than I expected it to. :/

No comments :

Post a Comment

I love comments, I always read them, they always make my day and help me improve my posts. Thank you!