The Weight of Water by Sarah Crossan

Wednesday 12 March 2014
The Weight of Water, by Sarah Crossan
Rating: 4.5/5 stars
Genre: Young Adult Fiction, Romance


Armed with a suitcase and an old laundry bag filled with clothes, Kasienka and her mother head for England. Life is lonely for Kasienka. At home her mother's heart is breaking and at school friends are scarce. But when someone special swims into her life, Kasienka learns that there might be more than one way for her to stay afloat. The Weight of Water is a startlingly original piece of fiction; most simply a brilliant coming of age story, it also tackles the alienation experienced by many young immigrants. Moving, unsentimental and utterly page-turning, we meet and share the experiences of a remarkable girl who shows us how quiet courage prevails.

Review:


  •  As Cassie is, I am Polish. Our heritage is also a reason why I wanted to pick up this book, especially because you don't find a lot of Polish protagonists in books these days, except in those featuring the Holocaust. 
  • Free-verse poetry is seriously gorgeous. Whenever a book is written through poetry, I just find it so remarkable because that's extra the amount of work for the author. You need to make sure it makes sense and you'll need to count the amount of verses and whatsoever, adding to the fact that the story needs to follow your idea in mind.
  • I loved this book! Cassie and I are very alike in many ways, we both love to swim and have close deep relationships with our moms. Cassie had a definite wild personality, and she was very intelligent with her thoughts and actions, adding to her humorous side. 
  • The romance wasn't too crazy in this book, but it was bittersweet and soft. I recommend this for anyone willing to read a coming-of-age novel, with a little bit of sass and twists into it.

No comments :

Post a Comment

I love comments, I always read them, they always make my day and help me improve my posts. Thank you!