E is for... Eleanor & Park

Saturday 5 April 2014



 I find that I love to read mainstream and popular books, and when Eleanor & Park first came out, everyone was raving about it, and they still are today, and that’s for a positive reason. Rainbow Rowell’s words are absolutely riveting and in my eyes, she is one of the best contemporary YA authors of all time.

I never expected this to be amazing. Contemporary novels are very hard to judge, and I really didn't know what to expect with this one. Once I got into 30 pages of the book, I was hooked in. The characters were amazing, and this was unique because it took place in the 1970’s or 80’s? I don’t remember lol but it really was something special.

   Okay. So Eleanor is the most “awkward” girl protagonist you could think of. She has wild red curly hair and has the “wrong clothes.” But, when she meets Park, she’s not afraid to show her true inner self. Park is also awkward, and loves music, it’s all he thinks about, besides Eleanor. This is their “romance” and “journey” together through the years which is full of surprises and many different realistic situations.

   The first word that comes to mind after finishing this book is artsy and indie. It’s very hipster and bookish. I totally imagined the world in drawings which was absolutely amazing to think about.

  “Eleanor was right. She never looked nice. She looked like art, and art wasn't supposed to look nice; it was supposed to make you feel something.”

   I loved Eleanor from the start. She was so wild, but calm and quiet at the same thoughts. Her thoughts probably were all over the place.

   I really wasn't sure about Park until he and Eleanor clicked. They were the best couple I’ve ever read about, and of course, come on, that MEANS A LOT, especially coming from me. ;)
I was crying in the end, no joke. Rainbow left us with such a cliffhanger, and we CAN’T EVEN FIND OUT WHAT HAPPENS NEXT. THAT IS CRUELTY.

  But the ending at the same time was breathtaking and unexpected. In one way, I didn’t want it to end but in another, they should receive a fairytale ending. They deserved it.

B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L. One word, so much thought in it.

24 comments :

  1. I have to admit that I'd never heard of this one but it sounds cute. Not often a fan of cliffhangers, but sometimes letting the end be open is just right for some books.

    A to Z commenter
    Reading at Dawn blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same. They usually kind of upset me, especially if there is no sequel, but this cliffhanger was kind of "made for the book." :)

      Delete
  2. I really want to read sth by Rainbow Rowell! She is so popular lately and I think that I'm going to love her books! I'm not sure if I should start with Eleanor and Park or Fangirl. Have you read both?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! I loved both so much! I think that you should start with Eleanor & Park, because Fangirl has a different flavour in it, and it's the one I read second of the two, but I loved both so much. Monday's post will be on Fangirl, by the way, so you could hear my thoughts on it. :)

      Delete
  3. I shall have to take a look at that book. I would love to have more reading time.


    http://ceciliaaclark.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely should! I also wish that I could get more reading time, school takes so much of my time, and I barely could read 2 books in a week. :/

      Delete
  4. Hi! I loved E&P too - I loved that for a young-love story, it recognized all the shortcomings of young love and didn't try to gloss over it by saying everything was and would be perfect.

    It's a real love story, one that recognizes that what works for now might not work forever.

    New follower :) Thanks for stopping by my blog!
    Michelle @ In Media Res

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, in the story, there were so many flaws that made the book itself perfect in the way because Rainbow Rowell showed that her characters aren't perfect just because they lived in a book, does that make sense? Ahaha.

      Back at you, thank you! :)

      Delete
  5. Wow! I haven’t read Eleanor Park but I now want to add it to my list of to-be reads. Very good review. Visiting from AtoZ Challenge. Very glad I stopped by! {http://31daysearlyirise.com}

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a good book. I'll have to check that out. I'm glad I found your blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a fascinating courageous journey. Cool blog, I've joined your followers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a book that's been on my TBR list for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh man, I LOVE Eleanor and Park!
    I don't typically read romances so I had avoided this one, but the 80's rock thing drew me in and I'm so glad that I stepped out of my box and gave it a try.
    Have you read Fangirl yet? I haven't, but it's way up on my list!
    Thanks for stopping by my blog yesterday! I joined your site and I'll friend you on Goodreads, too =)

    Thanks to the A to Z challenge for introducing us!
    Amanda @ Books Aplenty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Fangirl was amazing, it's perfect for the fandom community out there or just for the people who love a sweet contemporary novel. I loved it just as much as I loved Eleanor & Park. Monday's "F" post will be on Fangirl, so all of my thoughts will be posted then. :)

      Right back at you, thank you! :)

      Delete
  10. I am also wary of books with a lot of hype, but this book and Fangirl deserve the compliments.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've never heard of this book, but it sounds like one to read.
    Nana Prah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm surprised that you haven't heard about it already, it's so popular!

      You definitely should pick it up as soon as you can, you won't regret it! :)

      Delete
  12. This is on my TBR at GoodReads, but to be honest I can't remember putting it on there. I must have seen it on a blog sometime. ;P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Definitely read it sometime, you will be completely stunned.

      Delete

I love comments, I always read them, they always make my day and help me improve my posts. Thank you!