Y is for... The Year I Turned Sixteen

Tuesday 29 April 2014

   
  I apologize for the ugly blurred out photo above, I never would have done that on purpose, okay maybe I did. Jokesss..


    Okay. Never in a million years I would think that I would adore this book as much as I did. It's been sitting in my bookshelf for years, and I never picked it up before. The cover kind of made me drift away from it and flinch every time I saw the spine. Why did I have wait so many years? It was perfection.

   The Summary: So this is about four sisters- Rose, Daisy, Lily and Laurel, obviously they're named after flowers, duh. This giant mega-book is split into four separate novels, one for each sister of course, and each book focuses on the memories leading to, on, and after their sixteenth birthdays. So even if the book is focusing on one character, you will get to see the character development of the other sisters rise, because they're all featured in each book. (Except for one sister at one sad point.)

    What I adored about this book: The plots. The characters. The romance. The feels that it made me get. And pretty much everything else. I loved this book, and it was such an enjoyment to read. It was full of cliffhangers, romance and fun. I cried, I laughed and it made me feel all warm inside. The author's words caused the reader to think more about life, and I couldn't have asked for it to be even better. The feelings I got were just all over the place- I was going through some serious book-swings. (Get it? Mood swings, book swings?)




     This was the perfect teen summer read by the beach or even at home. I needed a chick-lit/contemporary book, and this one got me right in the mood for more. Too bad there weren't any more sisters, I'd read more from Diane Schwemm any day at anytime!

    The stories themselves: Rose's story was very girly and fun. From her personality, you could tell that she was the eldest sister and by far the most calm. Seeing her grow up in the later stories just made me want to tear up, things became so unexpected for her and I was happy for her, even though this is all fiction. I think that Daisy was the best character. Even though she was a rebel at times, I loved to see her change, from being the goody-two shoes to the hardcore piss-off rebel. <3 Laurel's story was by far the best, even though I didn't like her character at times. I felt that she was too weak and couldn't take so much all at once. Lily was exactly like me. I could relate to her so much, I felt everything that she said. She was a writer, like me, and a wallflower, also like myself. She liked to be alone and away from reality sometimes.

From the best stories to the worst- Laurel, Lily, Rose, Daisy. And from the best characters to the worst- Daisy, Lily, Rose, Laurel. 

   Side Thoughts: Gorgeous and captivating, girls, go on and grab this goodie! The characters ruined me at times because I got so frustrated and sad. What a heartbreaker. :( <|3

   BUY. THIS. RIGHT. THIS. MINUTE. OR SECOND. OR MILLISECOND.


10 comments :

  1. I haven't heard of this one yet, adding it to my tbr list :)

    Stopping by to say 'hi' from the A-Z Challenge!
    Finley Jayne
    http://finleyjaynesbookshelves.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to go make sure it's on my TBR. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kind of reminds me of The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, a series I just reread. Some of the girls and their stories were more compelling than the others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! That's exactly what I was thinking when reading this. Now that was a great series!

      Delete
  4. Sounds interesting and I wouldn't have picked this book up from the title. Admittedly, the title of the book makes me shudder a little...but the stories themselves sound cool. Very interesting you thought the best character had the worst story and vice versa. I think sometimes it must be hard to create a story good enough to match up with an awesome character. Will add this book to my goodreads tbr list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the title kind of is cheesy, but the summary captivated me all those years ago, actually. Yes, Daisy's story wasn't written well, but she was an amazing character. :)

      Delete

I love comments, I always read them, they always make my day and help me improve my posts. Thank you!