Then You Were Gone, by Lauren Strasnick Review

Saturday 22 November 2014


Then You Were Gone by Lauren Strasnick
Published By: Simon Pulse on January 7, 2014
Genre: Young Adult Fiction, Contemporary, Mystery, Romance
Pages: 272
Format: Paperback Edition 
Source: Borrowed
Rating:  ½ 
Two years ago, Adrienne’s best friend, Dakota, walked out of her life. One week ago, she left Adrienne a desperate, muffled voicemail. Adrienne never called back. Now Dakota is missing, and all that remains is a string of broken hearts, a flurry of rumours, and a suicide note. Adrienne can’t stop obsessing over what might have happened if she’d answered Dakota’s call. And she’s growing more convinced each day that Dakota is still alive. Maybe finding and saving Dakota is the only way Adrienne can save herself. Or maybe it’s too late for them both. 
     
That's an ugly creature.
            FRIENDSHIP IS PRECIOUS. I guess in more than a thousand ways, that's the main message of this book. And that tears me up, mainly because we don't get a lot of books that revolve around the importance and beauty of friendship. WHY DON'T WE, HUH, HUH? I really don't know, and the fact that I don't know makes me even sadder because the world of books is a mystery and we actually don't know anything about what this book is about.
 
            But what I can tell you is that this is a crazy mystery that will leave your head spinning. I honestly didn't even have a close feeling to what was going to happen next. The author added over 20 plot twists and 'suspense moments' where I was unable to put the book down and let what else was going to happen stop from happening. That's a definite good sign, people. I recommend reading this because it gave me such an enjoyment and I loved almost everything about it.

             

            It's true. The story began when Adrienne met Dakota. They were inseparable for ages, until they freakishly torn apart and didn't talk again for more ages. They were two completely different people, almost nothing alike. And of course at the same time, they both had shocking secrets that they didn't dare to tell one another. Who's secrets hurt and ruined the most was Dakota's, and now she's missing, all because Adrienne didn't pick up a phone call from her ex-best friend. Adrienne has never cared as much before, and she's on the lookout to find out what really happened and where the girl who changed everything is.
Torture. Absolute torture.

        But who can blame Adrienne? She hasn't spoken to this "freak" for years, and suddenly she calls her and tells her she needs her when it's all her fault for letting the friendship go to the roots? Those thoughts were circling my head until I found out the truth, and then I understood why Adrienne was why. I'd be a wreck if you put me in their situation.

        Now you see, the real magic of these kinds of books is that you tend to imagine yourself in the protagonist's situation over and over again. At least, that's me. The concept of this book was gorgeous and simple at the same time. In the end, all of the questions were answered but I was a little bit upset with the way everything turned out. I wish I got more of a surprise and something heart-stopping. It was just a loaf of bread and butter. Where was the jam and honey?

        As I began reading, I was taken away into this world very quickly, and I left quickly as well because this was such a quick read. A quick mystery, as well. But as you'll figure out the ending, you'll find yourself surprised because this turned out to be a total contemporary with some drama mixed in. The positive here was that it was all fast-paced.

DYLAN O'BRIENNNN MY LOVE!

         That was Adrienne for you. At first, she didn't care at all. But as the mystery evolved and the police began to question her and ask her about the events prior to her disappearance, I guess you can say we all saw Adrienne going into the situation because she felt like she had to. She was a selfish person at times, and tended to do whatever it takes to prove herself right. She blocked out her romantic relationship when her boyfriend really loved her, and her friendships with others as well. All on her mind was Dakota, and that was pretty awesome if you ask me.

    The contemporary was there, but the mystery really wasn't. I wish that I could completely demolish the ending and make it my own. But other than that, the rest of the novel was promising and pleasing. I'll be sure to be looking for more by Lauren Strasnick in the future!



No comments :

Post a Comment

I love comments, I always read them, they always make my day and help me improve my posts. Thank you!