Inside by Maria V. Snyder Review

Saturday 11 April 2015
Inside (Insiders #1-2), by Maria V. Snyder
Publication: February 21, 2012, by Harlequin Books
Genre: Young Adult Fiction, Dystopian, Science-Fiction
Pages: 600
Format: Paperback
Source: Purchased
Rating: /DNF

The world of Inside is simple. Do your job, stay out of the way and don't dream of anything better. Because as every Scrub knows, there are no other options.
Until Trella—the Queen of the Pipes, as some call her—gets involved with a revolution that will rock her world….
Trella was just doing a favor for a friend—her only friend. Hiding an injured man from the Pop Cops seemed easy enough—though dangerous. But then she discovered that the myths of Outside might be real….
Being Inside's hero only left Trella with more work. Ducking those responsibilities, she continued to explore her stark world—and found something she never expected. Strangers. From Outside…

*DNF @ 150 pages*

Man, I don't even know how to word this review. I hate DNFing a book, but when I have to, I feel like the whole event that has just passed was a catastrophe. And with Inside Out, my love for dystopian books are slowly fading away as this was a disaster-novel and there wasn't one thing that I liked about it. Shall we rant? We shall rant.


After this horrid rant, I know that you all will be waiting for me to completely shut up. But I just hate this and I've got enough. And the hilarious and funny thing is, I brought this on vacation and brought it home with me and I didn't get a chance to read it yet. And now I did, and it was a complete waste of time and a waste of luggage. *laughs* It would've been much better if I left this book there without giving it a chance. This dystopian novel's concept was something that I've never gone through before, and I'm telling you, I never will want to deal with anything like this ever again.

Once upon a time, in a disgusting dystopian world far away in my mind, there was an eerie world setting. And by eerie, I mean strange and weird, not in a good way. Queen of the Pipes, (the dumbest thing ever), was named Trella, and she was just doing a favour. Whoa. And by the way, the world is exactly what is pictured on the book cover, or at least that's what I saw it as. I pictured it like some bubbles where everyone travels through them and such. You call this dystopian? You say that this is a broken-down version of our world?

Our world will never become like some pipe-stuff. What the heck is that supposed to mean? I seriously don't know, and this setting frustrated me from the start. I wanted to bang my head on glass and throw this book into a paper-shredder. What the heck was this concept? Most of the book from what I read was all dialogue. 


And what was this dialogue about? Just the dumbest things. And I hated the plot and what the author was giving us from this. Nothing was happening, there was no action and since I got bored, I just had to let this go. And really, the way that time/age is broken up into some other timing scheme just confused me to death. I think that I prefer less info-dumping, and better pacing instead? Seriously, why try to make the impossible possible by switching things around from the way we live? What is the specialty of time being different than what we have today? No answers were made for those questions and it's not like we have a dilemma where the sequel will answer that question. It's supposed to help readers understand the world building, no?

Moving on, we then get into the characters. I simply couldn't connect to Trella as she was just a girl who thinks she special because she's royalty. She's a queen, BIG WHOP. It's not like she was doing anything for her people, really. And her people are named scrubs. Wow. *ignores the fact of that* And she was cold and unfriendly. Don't us readers want to read a point-of-view from a protagonist that's cool and lets readers know the answers to their world? Guess what... she already had begun to show her rebellious side which made no sense since we only got to the middle half of the first book. I seriously don't want to imagine what she had done next in the sequel, but I guess I'll never know.

I don't feel like bashing out this book any further, but let me tell you that there was no connection coming from me. For those haters (who think opposite of me), I'm glad that you've enjoyed this one. I'm surprised that it's not my kind of read that I'm able to connect to, and I wish I could've enjoyed it more since it's one of those older dystopias that have been out and released for a while now.

This is a read surely for people who: don't care about good protagonists, like info-dumping and don't mind to be confused, and those who have patience. Other than that, I'm sure and kind-of proud to be saying that you're on my side here. I'm telling you that this was one of the worst books I've read, and that I had to put it down or else I'd seriously freak and not know what to do with myself. I seriously went inside out, and wasn't able to revolve and turn myself back until I let this one go into bookish heaven.


Yuck. What's the best setting that you've ever read about?


No comments :

Post a Comment

I love comments, I always read them, they always make my day and help me improve my posts. Thank you!