Shut Out by Kody Keplinger // A Novel That Speaks to All Girls

Monday 28 September 2015
Shut Out, by Kody Keplinger
Publication: September 5, 2011, by Poppy
Genre: Young Adult Fiction, Contemporary, Romance
Pages: 273
Format: Hardcover
Source: Purchased
Rating: 

Most high school sports teams have rivalries with other schools. At Hamilton High, it's a civil war: the football team versus the soccer team. And for her part, Lissa is sick of it. Her quarterback boyfriend, Randy, is always ditching her to go pick a fight with the soccer team or to prank their locker room. And on three separate occasions Randy's car has been egged while he and Lissa were inside, making out. She is done competing with a bunch of sweaty boys for her own boyfriend's attention.
Lissa decides to end the rivalry once and for all: She and the other players' girlfriends go on a hookup strike. The boys won't get any action from them until the football and soccer teams make peace. What they don't count on is a new sort of rivalry: an impossible girls-against-boys showdown that hinges on who will cave to their libidos first. And Lissa never sees her own sexual tension with the leader of the boys, Cash Sterling, coming. 

My Thoughts:

Shut Out really is that perfect novel that shows up once in a lifetime to a very lucky reader. And looking back, I really do believe that I am that fortunate lucky reader. As I've enjoyed every work by Kody Keplinger, this wasn't a surprise to that I adored it so much, but it kind of inspired me in a way and was so kick-ass. I promise you, you'll never find another book like it and it turned out to mean so much to me!



This is pretty feministic, if you ask me. Lissa, the main character, alongside her best friend, Chloe (I still remember her name!), and the group of other girls who have basically joined their pact/pack are fighting for ending a stupid rivalry between two sports teams, and it's all about gaining rights and not having to be in the middle of it. It turns out that she kind of is in love with two guys, who are on separate teams, and things get messy. But honestly, why would a sports team have to mess things up when relationships are already pretty messy themselves?

"Great. He was a hottie, a good kisser, and a literature buff. God really must have had a sense of humor, because if I had to name my biggest turn-on, it was literature." (108)
Keplinger's writing can just leave you laughing, banging your fists on the floor after two sentences that just were "blurted out" randomly. It's a hilarious, but meaningful story that won't let anyone down. It deserves to win the highest medal of achievement, of life. I'm so in love with its writing and although it was pure contemporary romance, I didn't see anything wrong about its "cheesiness" or whatsoever. It's difficult for a novel to hit me in the way this one absolutely did. How CAN I THANK YOU, BOOK GODS?


Just reminding you, this one also does come with its fair bit of love-triangle. And perhaps some instant love, but it worked because the love interest was a literature buff, as Lissa mentioned above. (Don't you love that name too? Lissa?) Cash was adorable and he turned out to be part of the book's perfection. I didn't find myself seeming to care that he and Lissa clicked automatically, because there were some instances where she mentioned things about the past and the relationship they once had. It's tough being a girl, that's the big message. RIGHTS, PEOPLE. We all need a guy who could treat us right!

The writing just flowed and smashed everything together, without breaking any hearts (too much) or leaving me in tears (in a bad way). It's humourous, as The DUFF was, and has that bit of drama that makes everyone fall in love without making them feel that this was a complete disastrous reality show. THIS IS NOT JUST FOR THE ENTERTAINMENT. I feel like we're all meant to stare beyond the horizon and feel what Kody's trying to tell us. (That was my deep moment for today.)

"What's normal? What's expected of us? "You know, I don't think normal exists." (154)





If you'd like a small hint of romance in your average tale, I'd recommend this all of the way. We're stuck with an awesome protagonist who's independent and unlike any snobby, wishing for romance teenager we're periodically stuck with. THIS BOOK BEATS THEM ALL, LET ME TELL YOU. In a few hours, you'll find yourself a new favourite.

Do you enjoy contemporaries with tons of drama? What about them with love triangles that seem right?

2 comments :

  1. I love the sound of women doing it for themselves and making a stand against what they do and don't disagree with. I haven't read any books by this author before but they do sound so interesting so I might pick one up, and if I do it will probably be this one! I am not sure how I feel about the love triangle you mentioned, but I am glad you were able to enjoy this book so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES, we certainly do need more books like this out there! To be honest, I am not a feminist, but it sure was enchanting to read about a story this strong and touching. The love triangle had not irritated me too much, but I'm warning you: It's there, haha. I definitely recommend it, surely it can be classified as Kody's best writing! :)

      Delete

I love comments, I always read them, they always make my day and help me improve my posts. Thank you!