The Boy Most Likely To by Huntley Fitzpatrick // The First Was Better!

Monday 18 January 2016
The Boy Most Likely To, by Huntley Fitzpatrick
Publication: August 18, 2015, by Dial Books
Genre: Young Adult Fiction, Contemporary, Romance
Pages: 425
Format: Hardcover
Source: Borrowed
Rating: 

Tim Mason was The Boy Most Likely To find the liquor cabinet blindfolded, need a liver transplant, and drive his car into a house
Alice Garrett was The Girl Most Likely To . . . well, not date her little brother’s baggage-burdened best friend, for starters.
For Tim, it wouldn’t be smart to fall for Alice. For Alice, nothing could be scarier than falling for Tim. But Tim has never been known for making the smart choice, and Alice is starting to wonder if the “smart” choice is always the right one. When these two crash into each other, they crash hard.
Told in Tim’s and Alice’s distinctive, disarming, entirely compelling voices, this novel is for readers of The Spectacular Now, Nick and Norah’s Infinite Playlist, and Paper Towns.

My Thoughts:

Years and years and years ago, in a fictional land far away, I fell in love with Huntley Fitzpatrick's writing. The Boy Next Door seemed to be the perfect contemporary story for me—it featured first love, exquisite characters whom I cannot forget about to this day, and the utterly most brilliant storyline in contemporary fiction that I have read in ages. I could honestly close my eyes at night and recall the events of the story and everything. That was (three?) many years ago. Now, we are back, in 2016, with a new addition to the story that I liked to call my home for a little while. I fell in love with the characters, and they seemed so real that I completely related to them. This time around, Fitzpatrick features a new generation of Garretts and Masons, this time with a beautiful couple comprehending of Alice and Tim, who are not generic as they seem to be. 

The Boy Most Likely To has a title that just captivates readers to fill in the blanks, you know? You fill in the blanks and hope that Tim is "the boy most likely to steal my heart" or some kind of cutesy details. It certainly was not as great as the first one was, but this is just another case of second book syndrome. Fitzpatrick's writing has progressed weaker, or should I say, "more likely to disintegrate," and I expected better from the whole package. Better romance, better expectations, better characters. I wanted to relate to Alice, alright? 


The plot is generic, it is actually superbly weak. Alice and Tim meet out of nowhere when fate somehow puts them together... because of a romance that occurred between their siblings. WHAT ARE THE CHANCES? This is your cheesy, ultimate ordinary contemporary romance that basically popped up because the series needed more publicity. In fact, I did not ask for this sequel to be published, nor did many other fans, but I was excited either way. I am not ranting nor cheering about the outcome of this story, hence I seemed to be upset from the beginning. I apologize, my lovebugs.

Alice and Tim meet, there's a baby in between (BUT NOT THEIRS) and their love story shoots for the stars. In one sentence, I could thoroughly describe the contents of the book without feeling like some gigantic event is missing from between the lines. Nothing was missing. It is very basic, but overall an entertaining read that I would not trade my experience for—it is Huntley Fitzpatrick, after all.

I prefer... contemporary with action. This was too slow-paced, and if I honestly wanted to read about a romance, I could have picked up any YA of any other genre and could have found romance in that—and would have enjoyed it ten times more. Alice and Tim clicked, but then there were moments where I felt that they did not. The baby got in the way of things as well as the age difference. This is not what I would call real YA.


But at the same time, what is real YA? It is a novel written by an author who understands teenagers and readers. They understand people who want to relate to characters who are just like them, or completely different, stuck in weird life situations that they spend the whole novel getting over. I had issues relating to the characters, but I promise that it had not disturbed my whole reading experience. 






The Boy Most Likely To had a nice whirl to it. For anyone looking for a companion novel to a cute romance, this is it. Fitzpatrick promises a bunch of great traits in this novel to all, though some may not completely see it. I personally had a good experience with Alice and Tim's story, and would definitely recommend it to lovers of Miranda Kenneally's writing. (She's my favourite author!) It's such a beachy read, and it makes sense that many audiences have fallen in love with another book with that gorgeous striped spine and dramatic, romantic cover. This fits for everyone's likes... and even dislikes.

What do you look for in a companion novel? Have you read anything by Huntley Fitzpatrick?

No comments :

Post a Comment

I love comments, I always read them, they always make my day and help me improve my posts. Thank you!