The Suffering by Rin Chupeco // Repeats Aren't Fun

Tuesday 12 January 2016
The Suffering (The Girl From the Well #2), by Rin Chupeco
Publication: September 8, 2015, by Sourcebooks
Genre: Young Adult Fiction, Paranormal, Fantasy
Pages: 272
Format: ARC
Source: BEA/Publisher
Rating: 

Seventeen-year-old Tark knows what it is to be powerless. But Okiku changed that. A restless spirit who ended life as a victim and started death as an avenger, she’s groomed Tark to destroy the wicked. But when darkness pulls them deep into Aokigahara, known as Japan’s suicide forest, Okiku’s justice becomes blurred, and Tark is the one who will pay the price…

My Thoughts:

Here we go again. Rin Chupeco's The Suffering was a repeat of her first book in this series, The Girl From the Well. I would rather not complain or anything, but this was a serious hit and run for me. It was confusing, slow and ugly. Three-star books are the worst thing to eve give out, and when they hit me, I just get frustrated and want to run around the world, searching for another perfect horror-thriller story. This was not it. Instead, it was just another slow-paced book, some parts set in America, but some parts also in Japan, just like another vacation disaster as the first one turned out to be. Not for me.

Tark and his cool cousin, Callie (I had to go back and look her name up) are back again to fight... ghosts? I am still not sure what this series is going to eventually become or anything. There is no point that is flying up in front of my face. You know how every book has its own message.... right? And you know how every book is pretty great when it comes to world-building? There is no sight of Japan in this. The texture and setting of the story seemed to be in some weird forest in Virginia or something. There is no cultural relation whatsoever between the setting, and what it is actually like in Japan. I see nothing special this time, just like the first. 



It's been... a week? since I read this and I honestly do not remember a thing. Sure, the beginning and commencing part of the book was fabulous, with Tark in America and Okiku sitting around, acting like a doll and not saying anything. But then I suddenly remembered that she is a doll. WHAT? She is creepy but not in a horror-like way but in an eerie way that does not make sense... do you know what I mean? She barely ever says anything and acts completely monotone throughout the story. How does Tark even see anything in her to actually enjoy, you ask me. My flat answer is: Go see for yourself. Because in my perspective, there is nothing creepy or nice about this chick.


"She taught me to face my inner demons, that their presence did not mean I was broken. She loved my darkness, and I loved her light." (303)

This novel essentially comprises of everything I would have liked to enjoy or could have enjoyed in Young Adult horror, fantasy fiction. The characters were there, the somewhat-interesting romance was there, and so was the folklore. But a sequel or second book in this sense is not essential, in fact. It is just the same as the first, inserted with the same complexity and same plot as the time before. I gave it the same rating, too, anyways. 


Tark was my favourite part of this novel. I adore his quirky, nerdy and shy personality, but when he wants something, he has game and passion to get what he would like. I never really paid attention to the fighting or action or whatnot that was here... because that does not interest me. And I promise you, I would have never picked this one up if it was not for BEA's generosity. I had an ARC, borrowed the first one from the library, did not fall in love with it as I expected to, and then decided to binge read this one. Both were equal and dissatisfying, except for the beginnings and Tark's character. This shows that if Rin Chupeco wrote contemporary, I might have really enjoyed it. Hmm... I'll wait and see for future, upcoming novels from her.






The Suffering was not everything I expected it to be and wanted. Second book syndrome has struck, and it will probably stay with me if Rin ever decides to add more books to this series. I had high hopes, there were stunning reviews out there that recommended this to all, even if you do not enjoy folklore tales, and I fell in the ditch. Read this if you are lurking for a strong protagonist who will make your inner book-nerd fangirl sides churn. Other than that, this is just a weak "horror" story that could never make it to the movies. It was okay, ugh.

*A review copy was provided by the publisher via BookExpo America. Thank you so much!*

Are you cool with giving books second chances, or series, for instance? Do you enjoy folklore tales? What are some other good ones?

No comments :

Post a Comment

I love comments, I always read them, they always make my day and help me improve my posts. Thank you!