The Crown by Kiera Cass // IT'S OVER. I CAN'T.

Monday 8 August 2016
The Crown (The Selection #5), by Kiera Cass
Publication: May 3, 2016, by HarperTeen
Genre: Young Adult Fiction, Dystopian, Romance
Pages: 279
Format: Paperback
Source: Purchased
Rating: ½

When Eadlyn became the first princess of Illéa to hold her own Selection, she didn’t think she would fall in love with any of her thirty-five suitors. She spent the first few weeks of the competition counting down the days until she could send them all home. But as events at the palace force Eadlyn even further into the spotlight, she realizes that she might not be content remaining alone.
Eadlyn still isn’t sure she’ll find the fairytale ending her parents did twenty years ago. But sometimes the heart has a way of surprising you…and soon Eadlyn must make a choice that feels more impossible—and more important—than she ever imagined.

My Thoughts:

*SOME SPOILERS OF THE WHOLE SERIES EXCLUDING THIS NOVEL ARE BELOW. BE WARNED* 

Two years ago, I was a book-obsessed teenager (as I still currently am), but I had a different interpretation of Kiera Cass' The Selection trilogy. The thing is... I thought it was over. The One came around, we discovered who Prince Maxon picked out of the girls, and I was just so satisfied. I was so happy, had tear stains on my face, and I couldn't stop cheering because THE ENDING WAS THE BEST. After that, we readers were surprised with The Heir, a new addition to the series taking place from the perspective of Prince Maxon's daughter, Eadlyn. I loved the last book so much, and I seriously saw it as one of my most favourite books of 2015. After that, we were left in such a cliff-hanger that I just needed The Crown right away. What can I say now? This was our final goodbye with America, Maxon, Eadlyn, Aspen, and the rest of the crew that we have grown to love over the years. This was such a great finale, but the one thing that bothered me was THE PREDICTABILITY.

I SWEAR TO YOU: I SAW THE ENDING COMING. From the first book, the connection was real and I had this feeling that it would be him. I deep-down certainly knew that Eadlyn would pick him. That's what frustrated me a little—I loved the man that Eadlyn picked in the end, but because she had to pick him in this book, I felt that things were so rushed and there was no time to have any kind of rising-up-climax-thing. I saw it coming. I think many people were predicting the same ending as I was, or else Kiera Cass wouldn't have paid attention to that character. I'm frowning.



I loved this book, I seriously did, but the minor detail that freaked me out the most was the predictability and the lack of focus to relationships. This is a five-book series solemnly based on love and relationships, mimicking The Bachelor/Bachelorette so much that it's unexplainable. A five-book series does deserve some interesting parts that readers did not expect. If we expected it, then what is the serious point of reading the series? I apologize for my rant.


"I hope I've done right by you. As an official, as a friend. You're the closest I'll ever have to a daughter, so that matters to me" (127).

THAT WAS MY FIRST LOVE ASPEN, GUYS. In case you didn't know, when I read The Selection, my initial true love was Aspen, not Maxon. Things changed a little afterwards because Cass spent time moderating Maxon's character and making him swoon-y. I just love the characters in this series. We get snippets from ones we haven't lost, ever, like Aspen, his future wife (who I shall not name), Maxon, Eadlyn's brother, Marlee, Lucy... everyone. I just love the people of Illéa. And what was extremely important for me was how Cass spent time making a setting for Eadlyn. Times have truly changed in Illéa since the time of Maxon's Selection, and there was a huge focus on Eadlyn becoming queen in this novel. We see her taking care of political roles, as well as finding out things about herself, which I really admired.



Whoever said that Princess Eadlyn is arrogant and selfish is completely wrong. I love Eadlyn's character, and how she carries her head high (because she deserves it) alongside the fact that she has a similar attitude to America's. Of course, she has her father's kindness. *heart flutters*

The relationships that Eadlyn has with others, besides her love interests are remarkable. She is such a caring person and that made me respect her more. She was close with her siblings, with her maid/helper, with Aspen, with Marlee, with her mother... she made time for everyone and it was intriguing to read about how she grows up in this novel. There is a huge character development in her case and that was pure loveliness. 


"Maybe it's not the first kisses that are supposed to be special. Maybe it's the last ones" (159).

As always, Kiera Cass gears her stories towards the romantic side. Although this finale wasn't solemnly focused on relationships—as I mentioned beforehand—it surely was focused on making things work. Kiera Cass quickly got rid of the men in the story that we knew Eadlyn wouldn't ever have a chance to be with for the reason of the lack of connections, and I enjoyed that. I read some earlier reviews stating the opposite, and feeling like it was just a way to end the story quicker. I feel that that could be true, but it didn't upset me. 



What makes me sad the most is that this is over. We will not get un update on Eadlyn and her new life just as we did with America, we will never meet Eadlyn's children and see how America and Maxon would be good grandparents. This was way too short. But it's fine either way, I guess. THE ENDING MADE ME SO ECSTATIC, EVEN IF I SAW IT COMING. My heart couldn't stop racing and I just wanted it to happen. That's a definite good sign.







The Crown deserves all of the positive ratings, all of the awards because I am just so completely satisfied with the finale to all of Eadlyn's whereabouts, and I am in love with this series. It ended off so well with America's story, and continued that way with Princess Eadlyn, and her steps towards becoming queen and ruler of Illéa. Most of us who have read Cass' stories know that there is no such thing as second-book syndrome. That is the definite case here. Now, I think we're all going to wait around like in a campfire and wait until Cass releases some word on Eadlyn's future. Ah, how lovely would that be!


What do you think (or what have you heard) about The Selection series now? Ah, I remember calling it a trilogy. Are you Team Maxon or Team Aspen? 

No comments :

Post a Comment

I love comments, I always read them, they always make my day and help me improve my posts. Thank you!