Love and Profanity by Nick Healy // I Wish I Could Have Rethought My Choice to Read This

Friday 2 September 2016
Love and Profanity, by Nick Healy
Publication: March 1, 2015, by Switch Press
Genre: Young Adult Fiction, Contemporary, Romance
Pages: 232
Format: Hardcover
Source: BEA/Publisher
Rating: 

Here are forty short, brilliant, and unforgettable true stories from writers famous and on-the-rise. Here is the intensity of daily life. Here are transformative moments arising from the mundane. Here are strange and surprising tales that tap into universal truths. Here are teenagers in full splendor and horror. Here they are, bursting with love and profanity.

My Thoughts: 

Love and Profanity first caught my attention when I saw its cover. NOT THE ONE WITH THE TONGUE AND THE TONGUE RING. That one is really nasty. But this one, the one with the red and the heart on it. I came into this preferring an anthology that is about sweet love and first love, and how couples do not have it great twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week. I was looking forward to be reading (really) short stories by authors who I have never heard about prior to. Switch Press, I must say, this was not a good book, nor a good anthology. It's the worst anthology I have ever read, compared to the others that have come into my life. Love and Profanity has a little to do with love, but nothing to do with profanity. I mean, to describe it, I would love to use profanity in the meantime, but none of it was found here. The title doesn't make sense at all, to begin with.



These stories were actually really, really short. I could definitely have written some stories that were better than a few that were here. Some of them were so stupid that I had to skip it or else my mind was going to explode. People—there was one about a guy who would poo to his pants and a girl saw him do it. I was reading this at school and I had my friend read that one. She couldn't believe the book that I was reading. *laughs out loud* And then there were the few good ones that actually left an impact on me, like the ones about tests or the one about the girl living in Florida and has issues with her father. But honestly? This book is not the guide to adolescence or however you prefer to call it. I couldn't relate to hardly any of the stories and they're just not me. This is a completion of weird stories.



It's a quick read, when you think about it. I like reading anthologies because the plot keeps changing. I cannot review this novel on its plot because there are so many stories, and like always, some are better or worse than others. Some were relatable, most were not. I didn't like the way that love was portrayed here, but I guess that some teenagers see it the way it was written. (Back to the poop story) 

I should have DNFed this, you know? It was a waste for me because I didn't take no happiness out of this book at all. No enjoyment, whatsoever. 









Love and Profanity is a quick, short read, but at the same time, it took me a while longer because I hadn't felt like finishing it. You're better off without it, but there are a few stories that were brilliant. I must look into the books of those particular authors.

*A review copy was provided by the publisher via BookExpo America in exchange for a honest review. Thank you so much!*


What is a recent anthology that you have read? Do you like anthologies?

2 comments :

  1. Yikes, a poop story? No thanks! I'll definitely be giving this one a miss!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! This was absolutely nasty! I can't believe I actually gave it a try!

      Delete

I love comments, I always read them, they always make my day and help me improve my posts. Thank you!