Defy the Stars by Claudia Gray // A Sad DNF

Monday 17 July 2017
Defy the Stars (Constellation #1), by Claudia Gray
Publication: April 4, 2017, by Little Brown BFYR
Genre: Young Adult Fiction, Science-Fiction, Romance
Pages: 503
Format: ARC
Source: Publisher
Rating: 

She’s a soldier.
Noemi Vidal is seventeen years old and sworn to protect her planet, Genesis. She’s willing to risk anything—including her own life. To their enemies on Earth, she’s a rebel.
He’s a machine.
Abandoned in space for years, utterly alone, Abel has advanced programming that’s begun to evolve. He wants only to protect his creator, and to be free. To the people of Genesis, he’s an abomination.
Noemi and Abel are enemies in an interstellar war, forced by chance to work together as they embark on a daring journey through the stars. Their efforts would end the fighting for good, but they’re not without sacrifice. The stakes are even higher than either of them first realized, and the more time they spend together, the more they’re forced to question everything they’d been taught was true.

My Thoughts:

DNF @ page 150

I really feel bad to write this review because I am even disappointed in myself. I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY wanted to love this book. Claudia Gray is one of my most favourite authors without any doubt - her Firebird trilogy definitely has a piece of my heart, and it always will. I was stoked, ABSOLUTELY THRILLED to see that she has a new series coming out, however, I'm not really the dystopian-science fiction type of chick. I expected to enjoy this because the ONE AND ONLY Claudia Gray has written it, however, I was extremely disappointed with the outcome, and I was forced to stop reading it around page one hundred and fifty.

Defy the Stars just seems like a book that was put together with bits and pieces of other YA stories. Cinder, These Broken Stairs, Illuminae... I enjoyed all of those books SO much, and this was just a blend of them all. And I saw that immediately when I began reading. The fact that this was unoriginal and boring makes me feel depressed, because I'm pondering whether it was Claudia Gray's writing or my tiredness of this genre that made me not enjoy this.

Everyone seems to be giving this positive reviews, however I stand as a black sheep. This was slow-paced, and I couldn't feel any depth in the story. It was just a romance novel disguised as a science fiction story with a premise that I couldn't care less about. It's kind of a Romeo and Juliet story, where our two characters, Noemi and Abel, are basically forbidden to be together because they stand on two opposite sides of the social ladder in space. I did, however, find the setting to be extremely interesting. Spaceships and planets we never have heard of sound extremely cool, but the book as a whole was a bore.






Defy the Stars was sadly unoriginal and boring, prompting me to put it down and not finish it. I couldn't care for the ending and whether there would be plot twists or if Abel and Noemi's relationship strengthened. This was just a complete disappointment.

*A review copy was provided by the publisher in exchange for a honest review. Thank you so much!*

What genre has disappointed you lately?

No comments :

Post a Comment

I love comments, I always read them, they always make my day and help me improve my posts. Thank you!