Ripper by Stefan Petrucha

Monday 10 March 2014

Ripper, by Stefan Petrucha
Genre: Young Adult Fiction, Mystery/Thriller/Murder
Rating: 2/5 stars

Panic grips the city! There is a killer loose in New York City, and Carver Young is the only one who sees the startling connection between the recent string of murders and the most famous serial killer in history: Jack the Ripper. Time is winding down until the killer claims another victim, but Carver soon sees that, to The Ripper, this is all a game that he may be destined to lose.



Review:
  • I don't know if it's just me, but I didn't seem to find this book enjoyable. I really like mystery stories, but nothing hardcore. I don't like the whole fact of big-shot detectives trying to solve the case, especially in olden times. But, Jack the Ripper really does interest me, and I remember enjoying The Name of the Star, by Maureen Johnson, which had a similar idea.
  • The plot/concept was okay. The story built up pretty quickly and got straight to the point, but now when I think about it, the olden times setting probably ticked me off. I really prefer futuristic times, but obviously Jack the Ripper was living in the 19th century, so it makes sense. But, it got really boring at points and the middle to the end basically sucked, I'm not going to lie. Nothing was happening! 
  • I really didn't like the characters. Carver was... absurd and peculiar. He wasn't normal, that's for sure but he seemed too interested and obsessed with things. I don't really like characters/protagonists like that, so I better stay away from these types of books. 
  • I hate getting bored in books, like that's my pet peeve. Once I get bored from 70-100 pages, I decide that it's not a good book and I don't recommend it. That's exactly what I'm thinking about this one.

No comments :

Post a Comment

I love comments, I always read them, they always make my day and help me improve my posts. Thank you!