The Infinity Year of Avalon James by Dana Middleton // A Middle-Grade Coming of Age Story

Thursday 31 August 2017
The Infinity Year of Avalon James, by Dana Middleton
Publication: October 11, 2016, by Feiwel and Friends
Genre: Middle Grade Fiction, Contemporary
Pages: 224
Format: ARC
Source: Publisher
Rating: 

Avalon James and Atticus Brightwell have a secret--one that they aren't allowed to discuss with anyone. This secret is shared between two best friends. When you and your best friend turn ten years old magical things are said to happen. You both will receive some kind of magical power. It can be a power you can call on time and time again. Or it can be a power that comes once when you need it most. It's your Infinity Year and the possibilities are endless.
The past year hasn't been great with her family being torn apart and bullying at school, so Avalon is depending on her magical ability to appear soon and help. With the clock ticking and her eleventh birthday approaching, which would be the end of her powers, Avalon's hopes are running high. Will she and Atticus get the powers they so desperately want and need?
Dana Middleton's debut novel is a wonderfully enchanting story of the possibility of magic and the even more magical bond between two best friends.

My Thoughts:

I love reading books about kids growing up, mostly because I always get a flashback to when I was deciding what kind of person I wanted to be. Dana Middleton's The Infinity Year of Avalon James always looked so promising from the moment I saw its cover and read the summary, and I knew that I would enjoy it. Let's say that I certainly did adore it. This was a special story about a girl who realized that everyone's life has some kind of magic. It was cute, memorable, and something that I recommend to all middle-grade readers. This isn't your typical coming-of-age story, but a gorgeous tale that I cannot get out of my head.

BEFORE ANYTHING - let's talk about Atticus and Avalon's relationship. I am the biggest supporter of boy and girl best friend relationships because in society, they seem to be frowned upon as people immediately expect a romance to bloom. I just don't get it. Atticus and Avalon were adorable and even though so many obstacles came in the way of their relationship, practically tearing them apart, they still were still good. As in good, they still respected each other. And I loved that their friendship wasn't competitive, as they both were so excited for the powers involved with the Infinity Year.

Middleton's writing is adorable. I love the way she formatted the story and how it was completely fast-paced. I finished in a matter of hours, especially because it's only 224 pages, and it doesn't require heavy thoughts, just happiness and a good mood. This book just equaled HAPPINESS. Can they please make a Disney Channel Original Movie out of it to teach kids some cute lessons? 






The Infinity Year of Avalon James is a great story that I definitely recommend. Go grab it and enjoy, because many books aren't like this one.

*A review copy was provided by the publisher in exchange for a honest review. Thank you so much!*

What are some middle grade coming-of-age stories?

No comments :

Post a Comment

I love comments, I always read them, they always make my day and help me improve my posts. Thank you!